Blocked drains are a common issue faced by homeowners in Geelong, and they can be frustrating and inconvenient. While trying and fixing the problem yourself, it’s essential to consider the potential cost of blocked drain repair in Geelong. Several factors can affect the repair cost, and it’s essential to be aware of them to avoid any unexpected expenses.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the causes of blocked drains in Geelong, the cost of repair, the factors that affect the cost, and how to prevent blocked drains in the first place.
Causes of Blocked Drains in Geelong
Blocked drains are a common issue faced by homeowners in Geelong and can occur due to various reasons. Understanding the causes of blocked drains can help you take preventative measures to avoid them. Some of the common causes of blocked drains in Geelong are:
- Foreign objects – One of the most common causes of blocked drains is flushing foreign objects down the toilet or sink. One must not flush non-degradable objects such as baby wipes, sanitary products, and cooking fats down the drain as they can accumulate and cause blockages.
- Tree roots – Tree roots can grow into pipes, causing blockages. Roots seek out moisture there is a small crack or leak in your pipes, they can enter and cause blockages.
- Grease and fat – Pouring grease and fat down the drain can cause blockages. These substances solidify and stick to the inside of the pipes, causing blockages over time.
- Hair – Hair is a common cause of blockages in bathroom drains. It can accumulate in the drain and cause blockages over time.
- Mineral buildup – Minerals can accumulate in pipes over time and cause blockages. It is particularly common in areas with hard water.
- Poor drainage design – Poor drainage design can cause blockages in your pipes. If your drainage system is incorrectly designed, it may be more prone to blockages.
Cost of Blocked Drain Repair in Geelong
The cost of blocked drain repair in Geelong can vary depending on various factors, such as the blockage’s severity, location, and time required to fix the issue. Understanding these factors can help you anticipate the cost of repairs and take appropriate action to prevent costly repairs.
- The severity of the blockage – The severity of the blockage is one of the most significant factors affecting the repair cost. A minor blockage can be fixed quickly and inexpensively, while a severe blockage may require excavation and extensive repairs. If the blockage is severe, it may require a professional plumber’s services, which can increase the repair cost.
- Location of the blockage – The location of the blockage can also affect the repair cost. If the blockage is in a hard-to-reach area, it may take longer to repair, increasing the cost. For example, if the blockage is in the main sewer line, it may require excavation to access the pipe, which can increase the cost of repairs.
- Time of repair – The time required to fix the issue can also affect the cost. It may cost more if the repair is done outside normal business hours. Emergency repairs, such as those required on weekends or holidays, may be more expensive.
- Type of equipment used – The type of equipment used to fix the issue can also affect the cost. Using advanced equipment may cost more than using basic equipment. For example, a plumber may use a drain camera to locate the blockage, which can be more expensive than a plunger or drain snake.
Blocked drain repair costs in Geelong can range from $150 to $500 or more, depending on the abovementioned factors. It’s essential to address blocked drains promptly to avoid costly repairs. Taking preventative measures such as regular cleaning drains and proper waste disposal can help prevent blockages and reduce the likelihood of costly repairs.
Preventing Blocked Drains in Geelong
Blocked drains can be a significant problem for homeowners in Geelong. But with simple maintenance and preventative measures, they can prevent them. Here are some ways to prevent blocked drains in Geelong:
- Regular cleaning: Regularly cleaning your drains can help prevent blockages. You can use a plunger or drain snake to remove any buildup of debris and hair from your drains. You can also use a drain cleaner to dissolve grease, soap scum, or hair buildup.
- Proper waste disposal: Proper waste disposal is essential for preventing blocked drains. Avoid flushing items like wet wipes, sanitary products, and grease down the drain, as these can cause blockages. It is good to dispose of these items in the trash.
- Install a drain strainer: A drain strainer is a simple device that fits over the drain and catches hair, food particles, and other debris before they enter the drain. Installing a drain strainer in your sinks and shower can prevent blockages.
- Professional cleaning: Professional drain cleaning can be an effective way to prevent blocked drains. A plumber can use advanced equipment like a hydro-jetter or drain camera to clean your drains and identify potential problems thoroughly.
- Tree root prevention: If you have trees near your property, their roots can grow into your pipes and cause blockages. To prevent this, you can install a barrier around your pipes or remove trees too close to your property.
These preventative measures can reduce the likelihood of blocked drains in your Geelong home. Preventing blockages can save you time, money, and stress in the long run, as you won’t have to deal with costly repairs and inconveniences caused by blocked drains.
Blocked drains are a common problem homeowners in Geelong face, but they can prevent them with simple maintenance and preventative measures. While the repair cost can vary depending on several factors, addressing the issue is essential to avoid costly repairs.
Regular cleaning, proper waste disposal, and professional maintenance from a reputed company like Your Local Plumbing can help prevent blockages and save time and money. By being aware of the potential causes of blockages and taking preventative measures, you can keep your drains flowing smoothly and avoid unexpected expenses.